I don't know about you but I LOVE dinners that are healthy, delicious, quick and don't require me to be a gourmet chef! Are you with me? :)
Here are a couple of my family's favorite meals that take 30 minutes or less!
20 Minute Egg Roll Bowl
1 1/2 T sesame oil
1/4 each of green and red cabbage shredded ( or buy the prewashed/ preshredded bag )
3 carrots, shredded ( or buy the prewashed/ preshredded bag)
1 bunch of sliced green onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T minced ginger
1 pound ground pork ( or you can use ground chicken)
2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T rice vinegar
1 T sriracha
Sesame seeds and cilantro, for serving/ garnish
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, red and green cabbage and cook until tender (about 3 minutes).
2. Add the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the pork and sauté until it’s no longer pink ( about 6 to 7 minutes).
3. Season the mixture with soy sauce, rice vinegar and Sriracha.
4. Serve topped with sesame seeds, cilantro and red chiles.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons neutral oil (such as vegetable, coconut or peanut)
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T minced fresh ginger
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen peas
2 T rice vinegar
3 T soy sauce
2 tsp Sriracha, or more to taste
1 T oil ( I prefer coconut or peanut)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 T chopped fresh cilantro
4 T thinly sliced green onions
4 T toasted sesame seeds
1. Make the fried rice- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until the mixture resembles rice, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the carrots, celery and red bell pepper, and stir-fry until the vegetables are tender, 9 to 11 minutes.
4. Add the cauliflower rice and stir-fry until it begins to turn golden, 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir in the frozen peas and toss well to combine.
5. Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce and Sriracha, and toss to combine. Set aside.
6. Make the garnishes-In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs directly into the pan and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Season each with salt and pepper.
7. To serve, divide the cauliflower rice among four plates and top each with a fried egg. Garnish each plate with 1 tablespoon cilantro, 1 tablespoon scallions and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!
For the salad:
2 lbs sweet potatoes ( about 2 large) cut into 1 inch chunks
1 lb cremini mushrooms, halved
4 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
3 T olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
5 ounces baby kale
4 ounces ( about 1 cup) crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
For the vinaigrette:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 425°F.
Place the sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and shallots on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, a big pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper, and toss to combine. Spread out in an even layer.
Roast until tender and lightly caramelized, stirring halfway through, about 20 minutes total. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large bowl. Drizzle with about 1/2 of the vinaigrette and toss to evenly coat. Add the kale and goat cheese and gently toss everything again to combine. Taste and toss with more vinaigrette as needed (you might not use all the vinaigrette). Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve warm or at room temperature.
The vegetables can be roasted and the dressing made up to 2 days ahead. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator and bring the vegetables to room temperature before using. Rewhisk the dressing before using. The tossed salad can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.