Low Carb & Delicious Cinco De Mayo Recipes
May 02, 2019
Cinco de Mayo is always a great reason to get together with friends and enjoy awesome food! Do you agree? As fun as going to restaurants can be, I prefer cooking from home on this particular day! If you want to create a fun festive and delicious day at home too, here are some of our family favorite recipes!
I had to start off with a cocktail! And I have some sweet news! This is a skinny version of a jalapeño margarita- which is what I usually order when we go out!! This recipe is easy and super refreshing! Cheers!
- A fresh lime wedge and kosher salt to rim the glass
- 2 ounces of your favorite silver tequila — about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice — about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes; I don't recommend using bottled lime juicer- the flavor will be way off if you do.
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice — about 1/2 small/medium orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light agave nectar — add 2 teaspoons if you prefer a sweeter margarita
- 1/4 to 1/2 jalapeño pepper — cut into thin, round slices (use more if you like more spice)
- Lime wedges —and additional jalapeño slices for serving
- Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks, tapping all the way around. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave, and jalapeno slices. Tightly close and shake vigorously for 30 seconds (it's longer than you think). Strain into the rimmed glass. Enjoy immediately, garnished with lime wedges and additional jalapeño slices.
*Makes 1 cocktail (multiply as needed)
5 Ingredient Guacamole
- 15 oz (from 3 medium Hass) pitted & halved avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- If you are serving this at a later time, a great tip to keep the guacamole from turning brown is to cover tightly with plastic wrap so no air gets on it. Makes 2 cups.
*The trick is to a good guacamole is leave large chunks of avocado; don’t puree or mash them thoroughly.
*Having the perfect balance of lime juice, red onion and salt is essential.
*If you like it spicy, you can certainly add some diced jalapeño, some people also like to add diced tomato which is fine, but we like it just like this!
- 1 large head Cauliflower
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 lb Jennie o Taco Seasoning Turkey Sausage Jennie-O Taco Seasonings Turkey Sausage
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes (diced - I used grape tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup Red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 medium Avocado (diced)
- 2 tbsp Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet well.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, then slice the florets thinly to make "chips".
- Toss the cauliflower chips with the avocado oil and taco seasoning.
- Arrange the cauliflower chips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, until browned and crispy on the edges.
- Meanwhile, brown the turkey sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 10-12 minutes, until meat is cooked through and most of the sauce absorbs into the meat. Break part to crumble as you cook.
- When the cauliflower is done, flip the pieces over. Crumble the taco seasoned turkey sausage over the nachos. Top with red onion and tomatoes, then shredded cheese last.
- Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts. Garnish with avocado and fresh cilantro.
My Favorite Taco Salad ( & woohoo it's low carb!)
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 8 oz Romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 medium Avocado (cubed)
- 1/2 cup Green onions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup tomato salsa
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ground beef. Stir fry, breaking up the pieces with a spatula, for about 7-10 minutes, until the beef is browned and moisture has evaporated.
- Stir taco seasoning into the ground beef until well combined.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ground beef. Toss everything together.
Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
1 large onion [diced]
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes [diced]
- 2 jalapeño peppers [seeds removed finely diced]
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Start by sautéing the onion and celery in the fat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put everything else in the pot [except cilantro] and simmer for an hour. When it's done, remove the chicken, shred it up then throw it back in the pot, along with the fresh cilantro.
- Do a little taste test then add salt/pepper if needed.
Serve up the soup with a generous dollop of sour cream & fresh avocado to make it extra delicious!
Let’s stay connected!
Email ➜ [email protected]
What are ketones & ketosis? https://mollyrichards.experienceketo.com
Get a 5 or 10 Day Trial Pack ➜ https://tinyurl.com/sampleketones
Order Pure Therapeutic Ketones to Optimize Your Body ➜ https://mollyrichards.pruvitnow.com/products/ketoos-nat/
Instagram ➜ https://www.instagram.com/mollytrichards/
Facebook ➜ https://www.facebook.com/mollytrichards
Join My Keto Community Facebook Group ➜ https://bit.ly/2UcjeTo
Keto Girl Blog: https://www.ketogirl.com/blog
SUBSCRIBE to my You Tube channel by clicking here ➞ ➞ YouTube will then let ya know when new videos are up: https://www.youtube.com/user/MollyRichardsFit